April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month
Click to watch Dr. John Reckner's video about what it is like to have a painless and routine oral cancer exam.
"An oral cancer screening is a quick and painless part of your ordinary dental examination," says Dr. John Reckner, F.A.G.D. "Although we perform cancer screenings all year long, in April we support OralCancerCause.org, a national foundation that helps patients and their families undergoing treatment for oral cancer."
Bubble Gum Challenge
In April our team will be wearing purple ribbons, and educating our patients about the importance of early detection. This year we are going to have some fun by participating in the Bubble Gum Challenge! Many oral cancer patients are not able to chew gum … .or blow a bubble. We will be blowing bubbles for those who cannot. Join us, do this for a friend, family member or a loved one.
Please take pictures or videos with your family and co-workers so we can get our message out on Facebook and instagram that oral cancer screenings save lives, and oral cancer patients and their families need our support. We will be making a donation to Oral Cancer Cause’ Bubble Gum Challenge and encourage our community to support their mission. All donations to this nonprofit are tax deductible and go to helping patients and their families during treatment and to educating the public about the importance of oral cancer exams.
Social Media: Post your photos to Instagram@oralcancerblows
and on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/oralcancercause
use hashtags #bubblechallenge17, #oralcancerblows, #oralcancercause, and #wrrSmiling, or send pictures and/or videos to our office and we will post them for you. Our office hashtag is #wrrSmiling. Follow us on Facebook and instagram.
Oral cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers in the U.S. and will be diagnosed in more than 40,000 Americans this year alone. When caught early, the survival rate can be as high as 90 percent. Dentists are the first line of defense against oral cancer. That is why we advocate for and provide our patients with bi-annual screenings. Being an Oral Cancer Cause partner lets us lend our voice to raising national awareness about oral cancer, and educate patients on the life-saving potential of regular screenings.
Here are some facts about oral cancer:
1. 50% of Oral Cancer Cases discovered this year will not fall under traditional risk factors such as older age, history of oral cancer, alcohol consumption, or smoking. Anyone is at risk and should be checked.
2. Oral Cancer Cases have been linked to HPV-16 and a prior HPV infection can increase your chances of having oral cancer.
3. 3 out of 4 people are infected with HPV at some point in their lives.
5. If you are a denture wearer, it is advised that you are examined for oral cancer at least annually, although our office performs an exam bi-annually as part of a regular dental check-up.
4. Some signs of potential oral cancers are unexplained enlargement of the lymph nodes of the neck, persistent sore throat, swelling of the sides of the tongue or other areas, ulcers that persist for over 2-3 weeks, changes in tissue color and any tissue growth. If you are experiencing any of these signs, it is important that you contact our office to make an appointment for an oral cancer screening by calling 215-723-2162 or emaling firstname.lastname@example.org.